Friday, April 18, 2008

How can you still have energy?

Lukie's just-woke-up face. Got milk?


Last week I took Lukie to see a new pediatrician. The reason for the appointment was because he didn't eat anything but breastmilk and cheerios. I was very worried about his health.

Lukie seemed to be okay even though he didn't eat much. He still had a lot of energy. The doctor told me to stop giving him his multivitamin. The taste and smell of the multivitamin is pretty bad and I had to force him to take it. She said this might have been causing him to lose his appetite.

So far so good since I stopped the vitamin on Tuesday. Lukie started to regain his appetite little by little. Before, I thought the problem was his teething. Well, now he is eatting better but still not as good as when he first started solids. Hopefully, he will continue to eat more (please, please, Sweetheart, eat more).

Skin Condition
Lukie has a skin condition. I don't know causes it. The doctor told us to stop treating it with hydrocortisone cream. She said it isn't good to use hydrocortisone for such a long time (we had used it for about a month and 2 weeks). I was very disappointed in our previous doctor for not warning us about that. He said to continue using the cream until the rash went away.

The new doctor said the rash might be an allergic reaction to something and she suggested changing Lukie's soap to Dove for sensitive skin. But the rash on his skin is still there. We have another appointment next week. I really hope we can find out what causes the rash.

Change of Pace
This afternoon, I took Lukie out in the stroller. We walked a half mile to the library. Lukie was very patient in the stroller this time. Normally, he starts crying after just a short walk. He was very intrigued by the large book shelves and lots of books, stuffed animals and lights on the ceiling. On the way home, he didn't fall asleep in the stroller. He was very happy, smiling and laughing. I guess he was excited about having seen something new. And I think today Mommy is his best friend.

Since Lukie was born, Charlie and I have never gone out for dinner. We went out to lunch a couple of times but Lukie was still very little. At that time, he didn't cry very much when we took him out. Tonight, we took Lukie (now 8 months, 3 weeks old) to TGI Friday for dinner. Of course, he didn't order from the menu! But because of the new environment, he was fascinated and ate 1/4 cup of Cheerios while Charlie and I ate our dinner. It was a nice change of pace for all of us. (Too bad I didn't take a picture of Lukie in TGI Friday. Maybe next time!)