Friday, April 03, 2009

Lukie loves "My Neighbor Totoro"


Lukie never likes to sit in his high chair for long. I think this is normal for kids at his age.That is why I had to find something to make him stay put and eat his meal. According to his pediatrician, in order to get his attention when he loses interest in eating, I have to give him his favorite toy or book, then a crayon for him to draw, etc., to make him stay as long as possible in his highchair. The last thing to do is turn on the television. Charlie and I don't like him to see TV that much (or at all, really) but it works at getting him to eat. (We hope we can come up with something better or one day Lukie will learn how to sit longer. )

At first, we started with Charlie playing video games on the TV while I fed him until he was done and full. This method didn't work for so long. Then we changed to DVDs. I got a Thomas the Tank Engine DVD. We put it in and, surprisingly, Lukie liked Thomas the Tank Engine a lot. But it still didn't make him stay in his high chair for long. I was getting tired of following and feeding him while he was playing but it was the only way to make him eat enough to gain some weight.

My Neighbor Totoro is one of Charlie and my favorite movies. I remember the first time I watched this movie, I was pregnant with Lukie and visiting Charlie's parents in New Jersey at Christmas time. I loved the music and everything in this movie. I got the DVD as a gift from Charlie.

The first time I turned this movie on for Lukie was in the afternoon. Lukie was almost fully recovered from the rotavirus. He didn't want to nap. I turned it on just for something new and different for Lukie to see while having his lunch. Well, Lukie just sat in his bumbo seat and watched the intro of the movie while eating his lunch. No complaining or running around.

The drawing in this movie is amazing and the music is very beautiful. I can not remember how many times we watched it while eating dinner. I never get bored of listening to the soundtrack. Lukie sat in his high chair every time until he finished his dinner. I didn't have to follow him around anymore. When he was done and he wanted to get out I let him go but, amazingly, he was still interested in the movie. He would play and then stop to watch the screen. Now he even can say the character's names and also remembers what is going to happen in the next scene in the movie. (Yeah...that's because we turned it on so many time, you say.) :P

A couple of weeks ago Lukie broke the DVD player and the Totoro DVD by trying to put the Totoro DVD in by himself (I guess). I have no idea how he did it. When Charlie opened the tray to put in a DVD, he found two discs jammed into it.

Lukie didn't see Totoro for weeks. Yesterday, I thought he was missing Totoro so I turned it on YouTube for him. As you know, YouTube has everything (thank you, YouTube!). My Neighbor Totoro is also YouTube. Lukie ate his dinner and enjoyed the movie, and it didn't take that long for him to finish his pasta and meatball.

I also found a video of the original Japanese singer performing the Totoro theme song on YouTube. It was another surprise for me that my son suddenly said, "PEOPLE...PEOPLE SING TOTORO," and pointed at the monitor. It was cracking me up and I had to call Charlie to come and listen to what Lukie was saying. It is so funny that a little baby like Lukie could fall in love with something like this. I also thing this one of the best "first movies" to introduce to your little one.

No comments: